Great Ski Joring event in Leadville, CO this past weekend! Riders on horseback pull skiers down Main Street while they hit jumps and try to collect hanging rings.
Monday, March 5, 2012
Keystone Slush Cup
On April 8th head over to Keystone for Summit County’s only pond skimming event. During the Keystone Slush Cup skiers and snowboarders will speed down the mountain and attempt to skim across a man made pond! For a video from last year’s event please visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2jGWq9pbzk
USASA National Championships
Between March 31st and April 11th Copper Mountain will host the USASA Snowboard and Free Skiing National Championships, the largest snowboard and free skiing event on earth. Top athletes from around the country will be in Summit County to compete in slopestyle, superpipe, boardercross, slalom and giant slalom!
The Snowboarding Championships take place between March 31 – April 5. For more information please visit: http://www.usasa.org/events/nationals/2012-nationals/404.html
The Free Skiing National Championships take place between April 7 – 11. For more details please visit: http://www.usasa.org/events/nationals/2012-ski-nationals/434.html
Saturday April 14th Copper Mountain presents the CopperMan Winter Race – an event that pits man and woman against the elements. The three kilometer course, through the base of Copper, consists of endless frozen obstacles including a ‘Hot Chocolate Pit Crossing’ and the ‘Human Luge’!
The race is followed by live music and a beer garden in the Center Village. To sign up visit: http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/events/copperman
Breckenridge’s annual Spring Fever is a month long affair from March 17th – April 15th celebrating all things Spring! There will be bands, comedy nights, halfpipe competitions, mountaineering contests, chili cook-offs, a beer festival and more!
- Sat. March 24th – Julian Marley - Son of reggae legend Bob Marley, Julian is a Grammy award nominated, roots-reggae musician, singer-songwriter, producer and humanitarian. In the same tradition as his father, Julian "Ju Ju" Marley is a devout Rastafarian whose music is inspired by life and spirituality.
- Sun. March 25th – Soul Rebels Brass Band - This eight‐piece New Orleans-style brass band built a career around an eclectic live show that harnesses the power of horns and drums in the party‐like atmosphere of a dance club.
- Sat. March 31st – Leftover Salmon – This jam band from Boulder, Colorado infuse their unique blend of bluegrass, rock, country, and Cajun/Zydeco, which the band calls "Polyethnic Cajun Slamgrass", and have become a favorite within the jam band scene.
- Sun. April 1st – Donavon Frankenreiter – This American musician and surfer has made his name through his laid back, relaxing, yet upbeat tunes, conjuring up images of the oceans and waves, best known for hit single “Free”.
- Sat. April 14th – Toots and the Maytals – Toots & The Maytals are one of the most well-known ska and reggae acts in history. Considered legends in their genre, their Jamaican sound is a unique, original combination of gospel, ska, soul, reggae and rock.
- Sun. April 15th – Rusted Root – Frequently featured in Hollywood film soundtracks, they are known for their unique fusion of acoustic, rock, world and other styles of music, with a strong percussion section that draws from African, Latin American, Native American, and Indian influences.
For the other event schedules visit: http://www.breckenridge.com/info/spring-in-breckenridge.aspx#budlightconcertseries#Top
Closing days at the ski areas are quickly approaching. Make sure to get your final days ski day in!
Keystone: April 8th
Breckenridge: April 15th (Breckenridge will remain open two additional weekends)
Copper Mountain: April 15th